Seasonal eating all summer long
I always go back and forth between what season is my favourite, summer or fall. But quite honestly I think it has to be summer, there is no better time for fresh fruit and veggies in Ontario and I am absolutely love it. Has anyone else been obsessing over the local strawberries, peaches, and fresh garden greens? I am in my cooking and baking heaven!
A few years ago I decided to become a CSA (community supported agriculture) member, which essentially means I invest in a local farm and in return get some fresh, local, and organic produce throughout the year. This is only one way to eat seasonally, there are a variety of options including finding seasonal produce at grocery stores and farmers' markets. I truly advocate for trying to eat in season when possible, as the benefits are endless.
Click here to read my full article from Canfitpro Magazine on the benefits of seasonal eating and how to eat seasonally over the summer months here in Canada.
If you have been obsessing over local strawberries like me, you have to try my simple and delicious chia seed jam recipe.
Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- 3 cups strawberries (can be any berry or any combination of berries)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
1. In a pot over medium heat, begin to heat the berries (1 minute, stirring).
2. Add in lemon juice, vanilla, honey, and water. Continue to cook until strawberries soften and start to form a gel like substance (3-5 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and add chia seeds.
Enjoy over yogurt, on a slice of bread, with oatmeal, or just off the spoon!
Cheers to happy and healthy seasonal eating!
Until next time,
Eat Right Feel Right - Angela XO