The holiday season is officially here and that often means more celebrating (and more eating). Although I completely think indulging is important, I also think it's important to have healthy options available. I mean who doesn't love a baked good....that's healthy?
Today I enjoyed time decorating my home and spending time with loved ones. I also got to bake, which is one of my favourite things to do on a Sunday. Today I tested these delicious and nutritious carrot and date muffins (and I LOVED them). They are a great source of fibre, protein, and contain very little added sugar (4 grams in one muffin). See nutrition facts below.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Makes 12 muffins
· 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
· 2 tbsp. maple syrup
· 1 tsp. baking powder
· 1 tsp. baking soda
· ¼ tsp. salt
· ¼ cup ground flaxseed
· 2 tsp. cinnamon
· 2 eggs
· ¼ cup vegetable oil
· ½ cup plain Greek or Skyr yogurt
· 2 cups shredded carrots
· 1 cup dates, finely chopped
· ½ cup chopped pecans (optional – leave out if using these for school lunches)
1. Shred carrots with a cheese grater or chop in food processor.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease muffin pan.
3. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl mix together eggs, vegetable oil, yogurt, carrots, maple syrup and dates. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix well. Note: the mixture will be a thick batter.
5. Fold in pecans (optional)
Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown
Nutrition (per muffin):
2 grams of fat
28 grams carbs
4 grams fibre
10 grams sugar (4 comes from added sugars - maple syrup)
5 grams protein
Did you get some holiday decorating done this weekend? I love getting cozy on the couch with my lit tree and a freshly baked healthy treat. I hope you enjoy a cozy Sunday evening, doing whatever you love most. :)
Cheers to happy and healthy eating!
Until next time,
Eat Right Feel Right - Angela XO